It's the time of year when everyone seems like they're fighting a sniffly nose. That means it's time for some chicken noodle soup!
Did you know it's not just an old wives' tale that chicken noodle soup can help you get over an illness?
In fact, the nutrients from chicken noodle soup can aid your immune system and ease cold symptoms.
A hearty bowl of chicken soup may help you to clear nasal congestion and have a mild anti-inflammatory effect that can help ease cold symptoms, according to this story from University of Pittsburgh Medical Center.
Not only that, but chicken noodle soup is soothing to the throat and easy to digest -- the perfect winter comfort food.
It's also delicious. I make chicken noodle soup for my family in a slow cooker. Easy slow cookers meals are a staple in my house.
Our evenings are busy, but the slow cooker means we can still have dinner together most nights.
This easy recipe is quick to put together and loved by my entire family -- whether they're sneezing and coughing, or not.
Slow cooker chicken noodle soup
- 1 lb. chicken (I typically use chicken breasts, but you can also use leftover chicken or turkey!)
- 1/2 bag baby carrots, cut into pieces
- 8 cups chicken broth (or chicken stock)
- 1/4 cup celery, diced (my family doesn't like celery chunks, so I substitute 1 tablespoon dried celery flakes)
- 1/4 cup onion, diced (my family also doesn't like onion, so I substitute 1 tablespoon dried minced onion)
- Salt, to taste (optional)
- Pepper, to taste
- Garlic powder, to taste (if you really like garlic, you can use fresh minced garlic)
- Parsley, to taste
- 2 cups pasta noodles, uncooked
- Scallions (optional)
- Add all ingredients, except the noodles, to your slow cooker. Cook on high 3 to 4 hours or low 6 to 7 hours. Note that spices are to taste -- add some to start, and then at the end of the cooking time you can adjust them to your liking. (Remember, you can always add more, but you can't take it out if you add too much!)
- About 30 minutes before you're ready to eat, remove the chicken and cut it into cubes or shred it. Return it to the slow cooker.
- Add the uncooked pasta and return the lid to the slow cooker for continued cooking.
- When pasta is cooked to desired tenderness, dinner is ready! Garnish with chopped scallions and serve!
I hope your family finds this slow cooker chicken soup recipe as delicious a comfort food as mine does.
Sarah Boucher is the publisher of Macaroni Kid Grand Haven, Spring Lake, and Muskegon, Mich.
Looking for more family-friendly recipes? Join our foodie family!
🌸 Macaroni Kid Shreveport-Bossier Moms In the Know is a free weekly e-newsletter and website that highlights all of the great things for kids and their families to do in our community. Plus, you can find fun activities, family-focused businesses, book and product reviews, recipes, crafts, and much, MUCH, more! Macaroni Kid Shreveport-Bossier Moms In the Know serves families in Shreveport, Bossier, Haughton, Benton, Vivian, Minden , Stonewall and other surrounding communities.🌸