One of my favorite parts of fall is the produce. Apples are everywhere! They are so versatile, and can be mixed in with any meal, like topping for pancakes, or sliced and put in a grilled cheese sandwich, or mixed into chicken salad... the possibilities are endless.
Here's my favorite dessert using apples - it's a family tradition to make this as often as possible during apple season.
- 5 medium-sized apples, peeled (I love to use Granny Smith when they're in season, but lots of types will work - Jonathan, Fuji, Golden Delicious, etc.)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1/3 c butter
- Put peeled, diced apples into pie pan.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- Add 1 egg and mix until crumbly. Pour mixture over apples evenly.
- Melt the butter and pour on top of flour mixture.
- Bake for at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes, until the top is a nice brown color.
- Best when served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
🌸 Macaroni Kid Shreveport-Bossier Moms In the Know is a free weekly e-newsletter and website that highlights all of the great things for kids and their families to do in our community. Plus, you can find fun activities, family-focused businesses, book and product reviews, recipes, crafts, and much, MUCH, more! Macaroni Kid Shreveport-Bossier Moms In the Know serves families in Shreveport, Bossier, Haughton, Benton, Vivian, Minden , Stonewall and other surrounding communities.🌸